Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Letting Jesus Drive


As I was running this morning, I was thinking about how God has been silent for awhile. I don't mean that I haven't felt His presence or answer to a prayer, but that He hasn't written a post for me. I'm trying to stay out of the way and let the Holy Spirit give me the words to write for this blog, since I don't have much that's worth saying on my own.

This led me to wonder if I have stopped talking long enough to hear the "still, small voice" of God. Probably not, I've been too busy thinking about what I need to do for work and home. Of course, since I work in ministry you would think that I would ask Jesus to partner with me in everything, but I often forget to invite Him in!

The brain makes many leaps and bounds if you let it, so the next thought was a story my friend shared with me about a Christian songwriter, artist and youth minister. He was trying to write a song about a member of his youth group who was diagnosed with cancer. After sitting at the piano for awhile God tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he had a song. The songwriter said "no" and then God asked him if he had a son with cancer and again the songwriter said "no." God said, "Why don't you move over and let me write the song?" I'm sure my recollection isn't completely accurate, but the point still remains that God could use him to write and perform the song if he made room for God.

So I hear God saying, "Move over, Jamie, let me write the blog! While we're at it, let me write the story of your life. I promise it will be a good story, lots of laughter, tears, struggles, pain and joy. But the ending will be happy."

This is easier said then done and led to another thought, or song..."Jesus Take the Wheel" by Carrie Underwood. I have a hard time letting go of the wheel; I don't want to lose control and I want to know, decide even, where I'm going. The problem is that I'm bound to get lost and make many wrong turns!

Then I realized that the best races I have run are the ones where I really didn't know where I was going. I had looked at the maps and knew where the hills were, but I hadn't actually drove, walked or run the courses before.

The great thing is that I was on a journey and I didn't know what I would see, but I knew I would make it to the finish line. How did I make it to the finish line? Well, I followed those running ahead of me, followed the cones and signs and listened to the volunteers along the course. There was always someone there to tell me to turn left, water was just ahead or that I was almost there.

This is similar to the journey of faith and life. Many people have come before us and we can learn from their experiences, good and bad. The Bible is the map (vague as it may be at times) that we can refer to along the journey and we have family, friends and communities to help guide us. Sometimes our family and friends run with us, sometimes they tell us to turn left and sometimes they carry us.

Life would be boring if we knew where we were going; we are suppose to enjoy the journey and look forward to the next turn or hill for the the beauty it will bring us. Each step brings us closer to the finish line. And God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit is waiting at the finish line to wrap us in the blanket of eternal love!

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  2 Timothy 4:7

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post. For me, running seems to free up some of my brain connections so that I can be more in tune to the Spirit. My sermons often come together during run. But there are runs when all I do is run and my mind goes blank; I am thankful for the quiet. Peace to you as you run the race.

    ReplyDelete