Wednesday, February 13, 2013

No Such Thing as a Bad Mile

On this Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, when many Christians start a new discipline by either fasting (giving something up) or taking on a new spiritual practice, I realized that Nike got it right. We are called to "Just Do It".

As I was running this morning, I realized the connection between training and spiritual practices. After all a spiritual practice is training. It's training for God; so that we can share Christ's love with someone in need or feel God's presence during the trials and tribulations of life, especially in times of crisis.

I don't always feel like getting up before the sun when the temperature is below freezing to run, but to be ready for the next big race I must. It may feel like it was a "bad" run, but it still counts towards training my legs and lungs so that my body will be ready for the race. There is no such thing as a "bad mile" because each mile adds to the discipline and training of my body. I may not enjoy every mile, but each one is crucial to my success in finishing the race.

Likewise, my time with God always counts. Sometimes I try a new practice and don't like it, but God honors our time together and my effort. I have found that saying Compline before I go to bed works well for me, but sometimes I'm tired and don't feel like it. It doesn't matter, I need to "Just Do It". Why? Because it brings me into God's presence and reminds me that I am loved and I am called to love others and show God's mercy. If I don't do anything, I miss out on the "peace that passes all understanding". If I fail to pray, I can't become the person God intends me to be. I won't grow closer to God if I wait for the moment that I want to pray, it might never happen.

So this Lent, "Just Do It"! Whatever "It" is God will meet you there and honor your efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment