Friday, March 15, 2013

Gratitude Attitude


I've been thinking a lot about gratitude lately. It started last week while reading Flunking Sainthood by Jana Riess. Our church is reading it for Lent, along with the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York, and I'm leading the discussion for our church. This means I read each chapter three times to let it sink in and so that I can find something for our discussions.

I couldn't help but think that I'm not living a life of gratitude right now. I'm really an optimist so it's easy for me to find the good in most people and situations, but my general attitude has not been grateful of late. I have no real complaints; I have a wonderful husband, good kids (most of the time), health, plenty of food, shelter, friends, etc. So why am I failing to count my blessings and thank God?

I think we just get used to our circumstances and take so much for granted. I know I'm busy running, working, taking care of family responsibilities. I just go from one thing to the next without taking the time to see the beauty that surrounds me.

Yesterday Cassie, my 12-year old daughter, was playing on the computer when I got home from walking the dog. This frustrated me because she was grounded from the game due to her failure to turn a big assignment in on time earlier in the week. When she got off the computer she remembered she didn't have her oboe which she would need for the concert at the high school that evening. The middle school (she's in 7th grade) is always open until 5 pm, and it was 5:10 pm. With my frustration mounting, we rushed off to see if we could get into the school. The principal was still there and let us in, lucky for Cassie. Then we took a tour of the school because she forgot which classroom she left her oboe in. As I'm getting more exacerbated we find the classroom locked. Of course! There was a member of the custodial staff nearby who graciously let us in so Cassie could get her oboe. As we were leaving I thought to ask if she had everything she needed to do her homework and after an initial "yes" we headed for the door. We were almost out the door when Cassie said, "Oh, I forgot something in my locker." So, we traipse upstairs yet again. All the while I'm thinking, okay we may have just enough time for me to help Nathan, my 14-year old son, with his homework and get dinner before the concert.

As we got in the car to return home, I started to think about giving thanks in all circumstances. So I realized there was much to be thankful for: we got into the building, the very nice custodian let us into the room, Cassie got what she needed to complete her homework and she would be able to participate in the concert. Even though it was not an ideal situation, I was blessed and someone was able to show love, even if she didn't think of it that way.

I realize this was a minor nuisance to deal with compared to the difficulties and crises that others deal with daily, but it was a reminder to me to practice being thankful in all circumstances. If we are thankful in small things, it will be easier to be thankful in big things.

This doesn't mean we thank God for the situation, but for His presence in the situation. I have a friend who is battling Leukemia. She is not thankful for the disease or the way she feels during and just after her chemo sessions. She is thankful however, for her husband, the love and support of her family and friends, the time she is able to spend with her children and the medical team that truly cares for her and that she trusts with her life. I aim to follow her example and find something to be thankful for in every situation.

To help me in this endeavor, I am praying the following prayer daily:

 Accept, O Lord, our thanks and praise for all that you have done for us. We thank you for the splendor of the whole creation, for the beauty of this world, for the wonder of life, and for the mystery of love.

We thank you for the blessings of family and friends, and for the loving care which surrounds us on every side.

We thank you for setting us at tasks which demand our best efforts, and for leading us to accomplishments which satisfy and delight us.

We thank you also for those disappointments and failures that lead us to acknowledge our dependence on you alone.

Above all, we thank you for your Son Jesus Christ; for the truth of his Word and the example of his life; for his steadfast obedience, by which he overcame temptation; for his dying, through which he overcame death; and for his rising to life again, in which we are raised to the life of your kingdom.

Grant us the gift of your Spirit, that we may know him and make him known; and through him, at all times and in all places, may give thanks to you in all things. Amen.
The (Episcopal) Book of Common Prayer, page 836

1 comment: