Sunday, January 4, 2015

Christmas 2014 Meditation Eleven

Statue in Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Jerusalem
Mark 15:22-16:8

Today we come to the end of Jesus' life and ministry as well as his resurrection. One thing I did not realize until I was in the Holy Land is that as Jesus hung on the cross he could see his burial site. All of this is enclosed in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher or as our guide called it the Church of the Resurrection. I like this name better because the main event is not Jesus' death or burial but His resurrection.

Many Christians refer to themselves as Easter People, which focuses on the true miracle that is Jesus' rising from the dead. While I agree that Jesus had to die on the cross, a cruel and inhumane way to die, the point is Him defeating death. If the tomb hadn't been empty Jesus' death would have just been another death by Roman hands. He would have just died and faded into history as a noted teacher. Most people would not know His name, His miracles or His lessons.

Found under Sisters of Nazareth
(closest thing I have to empty tomb)
But when the women went to prepare Jesus' body the tomb was empty. As they approached the tomb wondering who would roll away the stone they must have been shocked to see the stone already rolled to the side. I wonder what they were thinking as they entered the tomb; I would have been scared probably holding onto the other women. But they didn't let the fear stop them, they went in to see what had happened. At the sight of the man in white robes I might have fainted, there is only so much surprise the human body can withstand while sad and afraid!

Mark does not use the word angel, but this is reminiscent of the angel that visited Mary and the angels that visited the shepherds. The greeting is the same, "Do not be afraid." But instead of announcing the upcoming pregnancy or the birth of the Messiah this angel announces that Jesus has risen. This is another birth announcement of sorts, but this is more startling. A man died, was laid to rest and then rose again; leaving his tomb empty! Talk about the impossible!

Mark tells us that the women left shaking with fear. They ran away and didn't tell anyone what they saw because they were afraid. I don't blame them, I'm not sure I would have even entered the tomb. But what a difference in response than the shepherds who told everyone what they heard and saw. You can see how the news of Jesus' birth was spread, but what about his resurrection? In some of the earliest manuscripts Mark leaves us wondering how the news spread. He stops with the women running away and silent.

But the news did spread, however it happened. Jesus is one of the most recognized persons in history. What makes His story remarkable is His resurrection. Sure he was a great teacher and a miracle-worker but there have been many throughout history. What makes Jesus so special? Why did Jesus turn the world upside down? Because He died a horrible death and rose again. He defeated death! There is no one in history who can make that claim.

With that miracle of death and resurrection comes a unique respectability. People all over the world, throughout time have been affected by this one life. Many people have turned their lives around; defeated addiction, turned from crime, stopped lying or cheating. Many people have gone willingly to their death because of their faith in Jesus. Many have given everything they had away and served others in the name of Jesus. All of these people have one thing in common, they have chosen to live a life worthy of Jesus' sacrifice. They have accepted his gift of life over death.

This leads me to question the life I live. Have I accepted the gift and turned my life around? Am I living a life worthy of Jesus' sacrifice? I don't know, but I pray that I am living the life Jesus died for me to live. I pray that my service to God and others will be worthy of the gift I have received. Are you living a life worthy of Jesus' sacrifice?

View of Jerusalem from Mount Scopus

 


No comments:

Post a Comment