Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas 2014 Meditation One

Nazareth
Luke 1:26-38
Merry Christmas! This year I have decided to take you on a pilgrimage through the Holy Land during the Twelve Days of Christmas. I was blessed to be able to go on a pilgrimage in November so I will share some of my pictures and thoughts. Since I am still processing the experience I may be a bit disjointed; I apologize now for any inconsistencies or confusion.

I’ll start where it all began . . . in Nazareth. Nazareth is a small hilly town; at the time of Jesus’ birth there were about 200 people living there. Nazareth was an unimportant town where a young woman named Mary was engaged to a carpenter, Joseph. The first thing that is evident in the Holy Land is that there are not many trees, except olive trees and fruit trees. It is more likely that Joseph was a builder/mason rather than a carpenter (plenty of stone).

Mary's Well - Nazareth


Looking down Mary’s well and seeing her home. I can’t help but wonder what was going through her mind as she went about her daily business and suddenly a stranger, perhaps a scary looking being, shows up and greets her with “Rejoice, favored one! The Lord is with you!” I’m sure she was curious at such a greeting, did she think he was crazy? I might have been tempted to take off running!




Mary's Home




But she stayed. And she said, “I am the Lord’s servant. Let it be with me just as you have said.” Mary may be the bravest woman to ever live! She said “Yes, here I am Lord” and put her life in danger. The consequences of premarital sex were extreme - death by stoning! Mary said “Yes” even though that might have been the end of her life. Mary said “Yes” even though that would have brought shame to her entire family. She said “Yes” despite the fact that even if she lived, she would be outcast from society. She said “Yes even though she would not be able to marry Joseph, or anyone. Mary said “Yes, here I am Lord” despite it all!





Was it simply because the angel said that “nothing is impossible for God”? How persuasive could he have been? Did Mary really think she would end up pregnant or was that her way of getting rid of this stranger? I don’t know if I could have said “Yes” even if I thought he was crazy. In the back of my mind I would be thinking, “what if he’s right, what if this really happens?” I’m not sure I have that much faith. I believe it, but do I live it? What would happen if I said “Yes, here I am Lord” despite it all?” What would happen if you said “Yes?”

Icon outside Church of the Ascension (Greek Orthodox)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your meditation Jamie. It made me think about faith. It took a great leap of faith on Mary's part to accept the angel's message. I'm not sure if I would have had that faith.

    ReplyDelete