Saturday, October 12, 2013

Feeding God's People


For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink…
Matthew 25:35



I was blessed today with an opportunity to serve God in a way that is outside my comfort zone...way outside! I'm in Columbus, Ohio for Group's KidMin Conference and I walked to Subway for lunch, which is about six blocks away. I got my meal and was on my way back to eat it where the conference is being held. I walked about a half a block when encountered a gentleman holding a sign saying hat he was hungry. Me being the incredibly generous Christian that I am handed him my bag of chips. Yup, a bag of chips, while I held on to my sandwich! Because I was hungry! Sure, I knew I would get dinner and have a warm, comfortable bed to sleep in, but I was hungry.

As I walked away I felt convicted. That inner voice said to me, "Really, that's all you can give? You are a professing Christian who gets frustrated when others don't share Christ's love through service. And you're going to walk away? Really!?"

I turned around and offered to by him a sandwich. We went into Subway and I paid for a sub and drink for him. He thanked me and blessed me before we parted ways. Being an introvert and not at all comfortable stating conversations I didn't get any of his story, but it doesn't matter he will eat today.

I pray that he finds the help he needs, but I am sure I was the one who was truly blessed by the encounter. Not only because he said, "God bless you," but because I grew spiritually because I loved my neighbor. I obeyed Jesus' command and learned that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I stretched and went out of my comfort zone and it is in such moments that we grow.

I hope that the gentleman experienced God's love and grace in that moment. I know I did. I was reminded that to love others is to love those who are different than me. It was a reminder that every person has value, because God created us all. I was also reminded that even if I am not called to a particular ministry, that I am still expected to serve in whatever capacity God is calling me to at that moment.

What is God's call for you in this moment? Will you answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment